AITIS students who score less than 60% in English from KG to Grade 2 or 70% for Grade 3 to Grade 6 in the admission test will be provided English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction. Limited English proficiency may be due to the following:
- A student understands, speaks, reads, and writes in his or her native language fluently but does not understand, speak, or write English.
- A student has limited understanding of spoken English but does not speak it.
- A student understands and speaks English on a limited basis but is unable to read or write English.
- A student understands and speaks English but encounters difficulty in comprehending the specialized language and concepts contained in the different content areas.
- A student understands and speaks English with a limited vocabulary.
The ESL program will be offered in three levels as follows:
In the end of a semester, by the recommendation of the ESL or class teacher, a student can be given an assessment test. Based on the results, he or she can be promoted to the next ESL program level: from a Beginner program to an Intermediate program and from an Intermediate program to an Advanced program.